Posterize Time effect

 

While creating some animated line drawings I wanted to make them slightly more visually interesting than simply adding easing.

line-animation-testPosterize time is an effect which essentially reduces the amount of frames outputted. It gives a great look to motion graphics and works especially well when the animation keyframes have a decent amount of easing applied.

The appearance of motion blur is also reduced by this effect so you might want to experiment.
The original line drawing was created in illustrator and then imported into Ae there’s plenty of guides for how to do this online.

 

Advertisements

Colours and Text and More Colours

font used: Plump

I had recently seen an offset shadow on text that had a transparent gap between the text and its shadow. I decided to  attempt his effect by adding a stroke to the the text and then subtracting that stroke from the shadow. (I also added a small blur on the shadow layer as the edges of the selection weren’t anti-aliased and adding a blur was easier than going back in my history).

I added a grunge texture to the background and overlayed it and finished by adding  a hue and saturation adjustment to the background and shifting it to quickly experiment with different colours. just for kicks I  inverted the whole thing and tried a few that way.

Color pallet for the letters on adobe color

Branding Experiment

Here I took an image I captured while in Glenveagh National Park in Co. Donegal, Ireland; and tried to apply some branding techniques I had seen online. wearetribe.co use this look a lot especially in their email marketing material.

Illustrator makes it easy to skew text, whereas Photoshop presents no easy way to achieve the same result without rasterising the text and losing quality.
The look is simply achieved my placing a solid colour layer over the (black and white) photo layer and setting its opacity to around 50-60%.

More experimentation is needed in this style I think. The flow and appearance of the text could possibly be made to work better with the background image as well as the pattern.

More full resolution photos from Glenveagh can be found on my flickr

Glenveagh National Park

(Incidentally this is also the same image I’ve used for the site header)

Dashboard CV for iPad screen

After reading the brief for this assignment I knew I wanted to focus on the presentation of my different software skills and so this was the focus of my sketching stage.

ipad_dashboard_sketch_1
In my sketches I focused on showing not only my ability to use use certain applications but also the relationships and crossovers between these applications.

iPad – 1iPad – 2iPad – 3In my wireframes I focused on laying out everything a potential employer might want to see. I used a scrollable design that I feel allows the user to focus on one piece of content at once. I also tried a menu design integrated into the top bar that drops down using an arrow. I saw this as a good opportunity to try the adobe Xd beta software as it has recently been released on windows.

ipad_dashboard_sketch_2
I wasn’t entirely happy with the software skills section of the wireframe so I expanded on one of my ideas that had them displayed separately as well as styled separately to fit their theme. The resulting paper design will be used in place in my final design.

Final Designs:

 

The colour pallet I used was inspired by another portfolio site I found which simply used pastel colours similar to the red and yellow i’ve used here. The icons used in the hobbies and interests section are from flaticon.com.
When placing the icons I tried experimenting by having them not centred or slightly off the yellow backgrounds. I think if they are all like this the effect works well.

colour palet ipad dashboard

Personal Manifesto Development

personalmanifesto1-0
Version 1 of my manifesto was just and idea I had to place the text a certain way on an A5 size white rectangle.
personal manifesto 2
Version 2 continues my idea for text on A5 rectangle but with a modified manifesto and a stark contrast in the font used. I also experimented with leading for the different section of it.